With the electrification of the Gourock and Wemyss Bay lines authorised in 1964 a 2nd batch of EMU’s were necessary for these workings to complement the current class 303 EMU’s constructed in 1959-60 for the North Clyde electrification. The exact same primary layout was chosen but the get went to Cravens Ltd of Sheffield instead than the community Pressed Steel Co. In Paisley. The 19 new units were consequently selected class AM11 (later on class 311) and entered company in 1967. There full functioning life were invested on the Glasgow “Trans Clyde” suburban community and in contrast to their more mature cousins the class 303’s none were set via the early 1980’s lifestyle extension programme which saw fifty class 303’s thoroughly rebuilt with new interiors. As a substitute as new class 320’s arrived the 311’s were slowly withdrawn with none in website traffic over and above October 1990 despite the fact that two sets passed into departmental use as sandite units. Their use was reduce short by the arrival in the late 1990’s of MPV’s (Multi Reason Motor vehicles) and both sets were laid up. Set 936 103 (earlier 311 103) a person of the two office sets escaped the cutters torch though and is preserved (in the loosest perception of the expression) at Summerlee Heritage Centre, Coatbridge.
Set 311 095 is viewed right here at Motherwell waiting around to depart with the sixteen.52 stopper to Dalmuir.
Tagged: , Motherwell , Class 311 , 311 095 , British Rail , Trans-Clyde , Strathclyde PTE